New York City Code Exit Signs & Emergency Lighting
New York City has very specific codes regarding emergency egress lighting and signage (what products may be used and where these products must be placed).
New York City requires that any exit signs and emergency lights:
- Meets New York City Electrical Code (meets UL certification)
- NFPA & OSHA require initial illumination of 1 foot-candle and a minimum at any point of 0.1 foot-candle. New York City emergency lighting requires TWICE that (an average of 2 foot-candle or 22 lux and a minimum at any point of 0.2 foot-candle or 2.15 lux measured along the path of egress at floor level). This is why The Exit Light Company recommend emergency lights with nine (9) watts on each head. Since even with the requirement for brighter lighting, the minimum standard of 90 minutes of run-time on battery backup power is in effect, NYC Code approved emergency lights are heavy-duty units with larger batteries.
- The letters of exit signs and exit sign/emergency light combos are MANDATED to be red.
- "The height of letters shall be not less than 6 inches (152 mm), except that in Group A (theaters and concert halls) and Group R-1 (Shelters, Fraternity & Sorority Houses) occupancies letters shall be not less than 8 inches (203 mm) high." A change from previous years, now U.S. standard 6" exit signs are acceptable in most locations, but certain locales still require 8" exit signs.
- All signs shall be of metal or other durable materials.
- All high-rise buildings require photoluminescent exit path markings for egress routes.
We carry a full line of New York City code approved emergency egress products: New York City photoluminescent exit signs, New York City emergency lights, New York City exit sign/emergency light combos, New York City 8" exit signs, New York City photoluminescent step markers, and New York City photoluminescent tape.
We also feature a large selection of Photoluminescent Exit Signs which are non-electrical, eliminating operating costs. They provide exceptional reliability and efficiency as they do not require electricity or batteries to operate, making them maintenance free. Our selection of Photoluminescent Exit Signs also comply with NYC building and fire safety codes.
$65.00 | NYCSRWBB
$72.00 | NYCELRT
$95.00 | NYCSR3B
$86.00 | NYCOMBOR2
$89.00 | NYCOMBOR3
$140.00 | NYCOMBOR2B
$145.00 | NYCOMBOR3B
$92.61 | EL-STW
$92.61 | EL-STBE
$95.00 | NYCA-ABR
$84.00 | NYCELSM
$89.00 | NYCELR